Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Musings

The Piano. Its versatility needn’t be told for everyone knows exactly how useful that smart piece of marvel is. No, I’d be writing about the beauty of playing one, the sensation and sheer pleasure that grasped me as I sat on the seat and that jolt of adrenaline, very unlike the one I get when I see a certain Angelina Jolie. Envisions of the sounds of thousands left breathless as I play something incredibly marvellous, perfectly poised on a stage made to look impressive, is running through my head before I even strike the first note.
It has always been my fantasy to awe an audience, the look of shock (this because I’m no looker, classy or otherwise) which would turn to blossoming respect is something which every guy desires, maybe not the audience but definitely that look. Mine was a dream to play in a great big hall with high ceilings and a piano with the softest of woods, the sound richer and more melodious than the voice of a loved one. What i have got till now is my room and a spunky Yamaha synth. Yeah yeah! Laugh all you want but everyone has a right to dream :D...

Ergo I went to my grandparent’s place (cousin). This happened a long time back, and she looked more beautiful than anything I’d seen in movies or concerts... A rich black finish with this glow which made me want to keep it for myself and never let it be. I lifted the cover, hit my first key, a F. Ahh the sweetness of it! I had found my mistress for life. Back then I had only a couple of tracks under my sleeve, so I tried my hand on “Pehla Nasha” a beautifully composed song by Jatin-Lalit. I must’ve played mediocre but what she made it sound ethereal, in my ears of course.

And formed my dream... The crowd. The cheers. The satisfaction that something I did had such an effect on people. This effect I don’t know whether it does effect anyone else, but the truth is that I do well up after a session with my collection of piano solos, be I happy or sad. This ephemeral moment of emotions showed me where my true passion lay. And it is not one feeling that surges through me, but a million...  An array of mentations that I’d have never given thought about, situations I’d never considered before...

It struck me then. If something as simple and mellow as piano could send my brain into that frenzy I’d not let it go for million bucks, not one chance. I only wish life had simpler choices, the hassles of a job,  a family...
I’d dream of a world where I could do as I please, and play my heart and soul out and finally get that applause I’ve been yearning for... that look so rightly deserved... A dream nonetheless...

PS. I wrote this article while Opeth, Flyod and Lanz buzzed around my head. So if a sentence does not make sense, you know whom to blame :D.

2 comments:

  1. Ya that rush!. I know that rush.Even i have this dream of becoming a Un diplomat one day, address a gathering of intellectuals,professors,presidents and nobel laureates. :D So come out triumph after and await for that standing ovation. :) but urs my friend is a more realistic one.I have a feeling that its scripted for you to happen because you have the most curious and strangest of minds here.Ur head is all messed up in a good sense.Its different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... thanks shobhit! i hope i break out of this cocoon called engineering! :D

    ReplyDelete